Emy

Emy

Friday 29 October 2010

New metal parts




Posted by PicasaI have been putting this one of for ages, replacing all the resin and plastic parts for metal. The first of the old parts to go was the center vents but these have now been followed with all the large grills. I intially made these out of cardboard, coated to make them much stronger, but as Emy is now out most weekends doing events they were not holding up well. I have now cut all new vents out of 4mm Alloy plate and spent far to many hours shaping and finishing them to the required look. I decided that I did not want them to look to perfect as when fitted they looked fake, hence they are a bit rough around the edges providing a more authentic look.
There is something about real metal on an Astromech that just looks so good. If I ever get around to making a third Droid it will definately be a full metal build.

No comments:

Post a Comment